The relevance writing assignment is designed to help students think about how the content of the course applies to real life situations.
In this assignment, students will locate an appropriate news story about a microbiology topic in one of the following places:
Tutorial: "Know the Science: The Facts About Health News Stories" (NCCIH, division of NIH and U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services).
Tutorial: "Evaluating Sources" (LPC Library).
NEWS EVALUATION SITES --
The quality of the information you find on the Web varies tremendously so it is always a good idea to check the information against another source. As with all information resources, whether in print or on the Internet, you evaluate its quality based on the following criteria:
That's just the basics. Learn more!
Evaluating Information - Applying the CRAAP Test (CSU Chico Library)
1) Read this article and evaluate it based on the CRAAP Test:
"Wine and coffee lovers, drink up! It's great for your microbiome." - LA Times, April 29, 2016.
2) Locate the original research study. Use the LPC Library's "ePeriodical Title List" search tool to locate the study referred to in the LA Times article above:
3) Read Health News Review's evaluation of the LA Times article (05/05/2016): https://www.healthnewsreview.org/review/wine-coffee-lovers-drink-great-microbiome/
4) If time, use Google or one of the recommended science and health news sources to locate another article on a topic related to the LA Times article. Read and evaluate that article using the CRAAP test. If a study is referred to, try to locate that study using the "LPC Library's ePeriodical Title List" search tool.
5) Begin Dr. Zingg's Microbiology current event assignment. Use one of the recommended science and health news sources to locate an article of your choice on a microbiology-related topic. Attempt to also locate any studies the news article refers to--use the LPC Library's journal search tools or seek help from a Librarian.