For the final research paper, demonstrate comprehension of relevant sociological concepts and theoretical ideas and then apply them to a sociological example.
- Select a theory or concept and explain it in detail.
- Discuss the key question for the theory or concept and use it to develop your thesis further.
- Find empirical data to answer the key question pertaining to your theory or concept.
Examples of empirical data:
- quantitative data (e.g., US Census data, CDC reports)
- research findings (e.g, academic journal articles)
- social trend reports (e.g., Pew Research)
- ethnographic observations
- historical events
Sources: 4 sources to be cited in APA style.
- 2 scholarly supports for analysis and discussion (not from required reading list) that may be scholarly journal articles and academic books. These sources may be used to:
- support your discussion of the theory or concept of your choice, or
- support your argument
- Durkheim’s theory of suicide (i.e., Suicide rates can be explained by other social facts.)
- Weber’s theory of social action (i.e., We behave more and more rationally.)
- Marx’s theory of class struggle (i.e., Capitalists exploit workers.)
- Functionalist and conflict views of social stratification and social inequality
- Weber’s theory of domination (i.e., Power is authorized for effective usage.)