This is a guide for Sociology 3 students researching topics related to cultural and racial minorities. Tips for locating reference sources, books, periodical/journal articles, audiovisual materials, and web resources are recommended.
Please contact a reference librarian if you need further assistance.
Conduct library research and write a critical analysis of a topic supported by empirical evidence.
Goal: To demonstrate comprehension of relevant concepts and theoretical ideas and apply them effectively to your topic.
1. Select a topic from the list below. Explain the theories and/or concepts that are significantly related to the topic. Follow the instructions, integrating questions listed under your topic. You may use these questions to form and develop your thesis further.
A. Theories of racism
B. The social construction of race
C. Colorblindness and the new racism
D. Race and consumption
E. Whiteness and white privilege
2. Find empirical support to answer the questions below your chosen topic. Empirical support may include the following:
3. Find at least four scholarly supports for your analysis or discussion.
4. Form and develop a thesis for your paper.
5. Write and submit a scholarly paper.